The RMC Museum holds outstanding collections in terms of their depth and in historic significance. The Museum also includes Fort Frederick which is part of a UNESCO World Heritage site.

The bulk of the collections relate to College history, or to the service of Ex-Cadets, but there are also a considerable number of items relating to military history in general. A notable exception to this rule is the RMC Art Collection which covers a broad range of subjects. Apart from a few artifacts purchased by the Museum, and a series of military prints and small paintings purchased by the former head librarian, the late John Spurr, all of the material held by the College was received via donations.


RMC has produced several publications over the course of its history. The Commandants Reports and the College yearbook, The Review, are especially rich resources. Museum volunteers are in the process of digitizing these publications. Here are the ones currently digitized:

Commandant’s Reports

RMC Review

Archival collections

The RMC Museum holds a large number of documents relating to Ex-Cadets, College history and Canadian military history. These documents include wartime letters, journals, newspaper clipping, certificates and other textual documents. There is great potential for historians to access these as yet untapped primary sources.


The College holds thousands of photographs relating to the history of RMC and Ex-Cadets dating from the earliest days. This is an outstanding historical resource, both in terms of College history and the service of Ex-Cadets.


Over the years the RMC Museum has accumulated a large collection of artifacts excavated from College grounds. We have also recently acquired archaeological material and its accompanying documentation from the now defunct Cataraqui Archaeological Research Foundation.

Uniforms and Accoutrements

The RMC Museum has a large collection of uniforms and accoutrements worn by RMC cadets, Canadian and military personnel as well as a few uniforms from other countries. Our oldest RMC tunic belonged to #7 Irving.

*RMC Cadets are given a number upon entry to RMC starting with #1 A.G.G. Wurtele, who entered RMC in 1876


The RMC Art Collection began almost inadvertently many years ago as the College received donations of prints from Ex-Cadets or decided to acquire portraits of Commandants or Principals. The late Mr. John Spurr, RMC’s Head Librarian from 1949 until 1981 collected a considerable number of military-themed prints, maps and watercolours for the College. Since that time, the Art Collection has grown steadily. Two significant additions are the Van Haastrecht Collection of paintings and the Gauthier Sculpture Collection.

Arms and Armour

RMC began collection arms and armour in 1938, when #249 Walter Douglas donated a large collection of weapons and armour which he purchased from the estate of General Porfirio Diaz, the former President of Mexico. The Museum holds these weapons, not as a tribute to General Diaz, but rather in the original intent of Walter Douglas which was to form the basis of a collection of arms and armour of all times, which could enhance the military education offered at the College. This collection holds pieces of great historic, artistic, and monetary value, equal to those in the great collections of the world.

Orders, Decorations and Medals

The RMC Museum holds a large collection of orders, decorations and medals, many of which belonged to Ex-Cadets or were collected by Ex-Cadets. Included in this collection are the medals of #1815 Air Commodore A.D. Ross, a George Cross recipient.


Much of RMCs Silver Collection is part of the Leinster Plate, which is the Regimental silver of the Officers Mess of the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians). RMC (acting for the Government of Canada) has held it in trust since 1922. In addition to the Leinster Plate, the RMC museum has collected a variety of pieces of silver including a silver tankard awarded to Lt. Spilsbury for his gallant action in cutting out an enemy ship at Malagra, Spain, on 29 April 1812.