The current Museum was established in 1962 by Brig W.A.B. Anderson, OBE, CD, then Commandant of the Royal Military College (RMC), and occupies as its principal space the Fort Frederick Martello Tower located on the campus of RMC at Kingston, Ontario.
The Mission of the Museum of RMC is to collect, conserve, research and interpret material relating to the history of the College, its former Cadets, and its site on Point Frederick, and through the interpretation of the collections, to convey this history to the current Cadets, the broader College community, and the public at large.
Over more than 50 years, with the support of former Cadets and other members of the public, the Museum has built up a large and significant Collection of national importance. Specifically included within this broad Collection, as subsidiary collections, are the:
- Arms Collection which includes the Douglas Arms Collection
- Silver Collection principally the Leinster Plate
- Medal Collection of Orders, Decorations and Medals within which is the Jackman Collection
- College Collection of Fine Art including the van Haastrecht and Gauthier Collections
- A limited, but growing collection of archival material concerning the establishment of this University on the Point Frederick site
- Archaeological Collections
The public is encouraged to visit the Museum on Point Frederick (across the harbour from downtown Kingston) during the summer months when the Cadets are not in residence. Equally, where possible, the Museum will attempt to assist with research inquiries.
The Museum is an accredited Museum within the Canadian Forces Museum System and is a member of the Organization of Military Museums of Canada and of the Canadian Museum Association.
Hours of Operation
The RMC Museum is closed for the 2021 season and Point Frederick is closed to visitors due to the COVID 19 pandemic.
For more information
Museum Office Contact
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Telephone: (613) 541-6000 ext 3555
Royal Military College of Canada
PO Box 17000 Station Forces
KINGSTON, Ontario K7L 7B4